Börgönd (HUN) a.k.a. Seregélyes (HUN) (47 08 10 N – 18 30 00 E)
General: airfield in C Hungary 16 km SE of Székesfehérvár and 7 km NW of Seregélyes.
History: date of construction unknown, but possible during the 1943-44 period. Used mainly by a Luftwaffe fighter school unit prior to the arrival of combat units in fall 1944.
Dimensions: 1,050 x 823 meters.
Runway: grass surface sloping slightly from N to S.
Infrastructure: fuel, water, ammunition, communications and other amenities were available. There were 3 hangars on the NW boundary consisting of a just-completed large double-bay hangar and two medium hangars, both of which had tarmac aprons. Workshops were adjacent to the hangars. Ammunition storage was located on both sides of the Seregélyes-Székesfehérvár road 3.65 km E of the airfield. The main station buildings (admin offices, barracks, messes, etc.) were on the NW boundary to the rear of the hangars. Additional barrack huts were situated 1.2 km NW of the airfield. There was a branch rail line that ran to the station buildings.
Dispersal: there were 2 areas – the Southwest dispersal had 20 small open aircraft shelters and the Southeast dispersal had 8 small open aircraft shelters. The aircraft shelters were built during the first half of 1944.
- c. 24 Mar 44: Hungarian airfield personnel strength - 61 officers and officials, 825 NCOs and men; German Luftwaffe - none. Jul 44: leveling work was underway off the SE boundary to extend the landing area.
- c. 15 Aug 44: total German Luftwaffe airfield personnel strength - 21 officers, 486 NCOs and men, 1 civilian).
- 9-12 Oct 44: airfield strafed by 15th AAF P-51 Mustangs – claimed many planes destroyed and damaged.
- 14 Oct 44: strafed by 53 P-51s – claimed a total of 31 aircraft destroyed on the ground here and at Székesfehérvár airfield.
- 21 Oct 44: strafed by 34 15th AAF P-51 Mustangs – claimed a total of 38 aircraft destroyed on the ground here and at Szombathely.
- 26 Nov 44: strafed by 39 15th AAF P-38s.
- Hungarian: II. Hungarian Tactical Reconnaissance Squadron (1940-41); 102. Hungarian Ground-Attack Group (Oct-Dec 44); 102. Hungarian Bomber Group (Oct-Nov 44); 102./2. Hungarian Dive-Bomber Squadron (Oct 44).
- Luftwaffe: 3.(F)/Aufkl.Gr. 121 (10 Oct – Nov 44); Wekusta 76 (26 Aug – Oct 44); Stab/SG 2 (c.15 Nov 44 -15 Jan 45); II./SG 2 (c.15 Nov – 5 Dec 44); 10.(Pz.)/SG 2 (c.15 Nov 44 -15 Jan 45); III./SG 10 (mid-Nov 44 – Jan 45); 4./NSGr. 2 (c.Oct – 20 Nov 44).
School Units: II./JG 108 (Jun – Sep 44); Ausbildungskdo. J (Aug 44). Station Commands: Fl.H.Kdtr. E 4/VII (Mar 44)?; Flugplatzkdo. Börgönd of Fl.H.Kdtr. A(o) 104/XVII Budapest-Ferihegy (Apr-Jul 44); Fl.H.Kdtr. E(v) 228/XVII (Aug – c.Dec 44).
Station Units (on various dates - incomplete): Werft-Abt. (v) 104/XVII (1944-45); elements of 5./Ln.-Rgt. 218 (Aug 44).
[Sources: AFHRA A5262 pp.847-48 (11 Oct 44); chronologies; BA-MA; NARA; PRO/NA; web site ww2.dk]
Source: Luftwaffe Airfields 1935-45 Hungary By Henry L. de Zeng IV Published on WW2.dk